Nothing, absolutely nothing! stops you from having glowing skin while pregnant. Find out how I did it.
“What happened to your face?” One of my beautiful sisters asked me after meeting up for the first time in a long time. The question didn’t take me by surprise. I had a lot of explanations to give to this sister who had always benefited from my advices and tips on having a naturally flawless skin. So wasn’t it an irony for her to have seen my face looking so dry, dark and adorned with frustrating acne? As a beauty enthusiast, I had always thought I knew the ins and outs of natural skincare until hormonal changes in pregnancy taught me that there was still more to learn. I began my research and took some online classes. Few weeks after I began putting together my newly discovered natural pre – natal skincare, my skin evolved into what many wouldn’t have believed I could achieve in pregnancy. Curious to Know? Here is a simple regimen to nurture your skin and glow naturally while rocking that gorgeous bump. The good news is that it’s versatile and can be customized to suit all skin types:
THE THREE STEP FACIAL CARE ROUTINE
With hormones changing, you can experience increased acne, sebum production, rosacea and dry skin all at once which could make you a bit uncomfortable and depressed even though you know for a fact that this condition is temporary. You need not fret about this. Replace your entire skincare with this beautiful, skin loving super pregnancy routine. The key is keeping it simple.
- HONEY CLEANSING
This will replace your normal soap cleanser which removes the natural moisture of your skin and then increases oil production, making your skin more prone to acne breakouts. You are going to be washing your face at least two times a day with pure natural honey alone. This leaves your skin super clean, soft and well hydrated. Massage one tablespoon of honey onto damp skin just the way you use a normal cleansing soap. Make sure your skin is damp so that the honey glides on easily. Continue massaging for a few minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry instead of rubbing. Avoid very hot water as it dries out the skin. Do this in the morning, at night and after heavy sweating
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR TONER
This balances the natural pH of your skin and breaks up the bonds between dead skin cells (exfoliating) to keep skin pores open. It also miraculously deals with acne and acne scars for all skin types while lightening pregnancy and age spots. You can customize your apple cider vinegar toner according to your skin type and aromatic ingredient preferences. Pay attention to the following guidelines:
- For dry and normal skin, mix one part apple cider vinegar with two parts water, for oily skin, mix one part apple cider vinegar with one part water and for sensitive skin, mix one part apple cider vinegar with four parts water.
- In place of water, you can brew your favourite organic herbal tea like green tea and mix it with the vinegar in the ratio stated above, depending on your skin type.
- You can also add hydrosols like rose water or any other “flower waters” to the mixture. This will not be in place of water, it will rather be an addition. Use one teaspoon of your favourite hydrosol per 8 oz of toner.
- Another wonderful addition to your toner can be essential oils. For dry or normal skin, you can choose between lavender, lemongrass and sandalwood. For oily skin, choose between lavender, frankincense and geranium. For sensitive skin, choose between lavender, chamomile and frankincense. Use two to three drops of essential oil per 8 oz of toner.
- Mix ingredients together and store in a glass or plastic container. It has a long shelf life and does not need to be put in the refrigerator. Soak a cotton ball in the toner and lightly rub on your face and neck. Do not rinse it off after use. As a reminder, this should come after you cleanse your face with the honey cleanser.
- OIL MOISTURISER
This final step is the real deal. The oil moisturizer protects and repairs your skin. It also locks in hydration and nourishment and leaves your skin feeling velvety soft. You apply this while your skin is still lightly damp after using the apple cider vinegar toner. Do not let your skin dry before applying the oil moisturizer as it is supposed to lock in all the hydration and keep your skin soft and supple. You can also use it on the whole body right after you come out of the shower. Just like the toner, you need to customize your oil moisturizer to suit your skin type and aromatic preferences. Pay attention to the following guidelines:
- You need a mixture of 98 percent carrier oil, 1 percent essential oil and 1 percent Vitamin E oil. This means if you’re making 100 grams facial oil moisturizer, you’ll need 98 grams carrier oil, 1 gram essential oil and 1 gram vitamin E oil. Make sure you measure in grams to give you the right consistency.
- You can use a mixture of two carrier oils, making each one 49 percent
- For dry and normal skin, your choice of carrier oils should be between Jojoba oil, Argan oil, Olive oil and sweet almond oil. For oily skin, your carrier oils should be between neem oil, black seed oil, jojoba oil and moringa oil. And those with sensitive skin should choose between Avocado oil, black seed oil, marula oil and palm kernel oil.
- When choosing essential oils, dry or normal skinned people should choose between lavender, lemongrass and sandalwood. For oily skin, choose between lavender, frankincense and geranium. While those with sensitive skin should choose between lavender, chamomile and frankincense.
- The requirement of Vitamin E oil as an antioxidant is for all skin types
- Mix the oil combination well and store in an easy to pour bottle.
- You only need three drops of the oil moisturizer for your entire face
- Warm the oil with the palm of your hands and lightly press it onto your face.
- For night time treatment, apply an extra drop or two of the oil around your eyes and lips
This is it. You will definitely notice your pregnancy skin glowing and brighter in a very short while. Be creative in customizing your toner and oil moisturizer and you’ll soon find out that besides having that velvety soft beautiful skin, the experience of creating your own skincare will be fun – filled. I hope this benefits you greatly as I wish you a beautiful journey through your pregnancy.
This article was published in Sisters Magazine